Friday, September 21, 2007

The Church Planter 1

At least for a while I want to discuss church planting with you. I hope that you will post a comment to discuss or question things or you can email me at gardner @ bcwe.org and I will post your question and answers.

I do not consider myself an expert church planter though I have been planting churches now for over 29 years. I have read lots of books and want to share with you what I have found and start a lively discussion with you if you are interested.

Church planting starts with the church planter. Elmer Towns said: “The man who desires to build a church is usually motivated by the ‘impossible dream’ and he must accomplish the ‘unperformable task.’”

The quote really is very true! To be a successful church planter you will have to know that God placed a bucket load of desire in your heart. What you seek to do is outside the realm of human power. A human being can put together a group of people, a crowd but not a church. He might form a congregation but not a New Testament Church. Only the Lord Jesus and His power can equip you to do what God wants done. It will be far more than just finding a way to get people to come.

It is impossible and unperformable because it is against human nature to truly love God and begin to allow Him to live in and through us. You will have to have Holy Spirit power to get the job done. Towns also stated in the same chapter; “God must perform a miracle each time a new church comes into existence.”

Questions to be answered

Do you know what you are getting yourself into!
How have you prepared yourself for this kind of work—ministry related experience?
Do you have a solid understanding of the Biblical doctrine of the church?

Vision News

2 comments:

Amrita said...

I liked this post Mr Gardner.
My desire is to re-plant my church.
Many of our church memebers have left due to several reasons. We need to build again.

Desire, committment and hard work is essential., fuelled by prayer and depending on the Holy Spirit.

Travis Snode said...

What kind of preparation do you think that someone needs in order to plant a church?