Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Biblical plan for restoration

I would like to share some ideas about how to deal with sin and failure in the lives of our church members and especially leadership that might at least give you something to think about.

This is assuming that the person that you are dealing with has acknowledged their sin and desires to get right with God. I do think that I will start with what I would do along the way to even get them to that point.

1. First do not believe what people tell you about another preacher, leader, or Christian. You will soon find out that it is easy to accuse another brother and we were instructed to not receive an accusation against a brother without witnesses

1Ti 5:19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

That not only applies to elders, pastors, or leaders but to all people:

Deu 17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deu 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Remember that there can be false witnesses also.

Deu 19:18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
Deu 19:19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

Step one is to be sure that you have really investigated to find out if the brother is guilty.

I suggest that rather than accusing or seeming that you want to harm your brother that you go to him and that you ask him what he has to say about the accusations that you have heard. The conversation would be as kind and as pleasant as it could be because our goal is to always restore our brother.

Ask him like this; I have heard some things that concern me and I wanted to ask you to help me understand and know the truth about this things.

If he denies it then you probe further and further until you have an idea about the truth.

If he does not confess and you do have witnesses then you will have to bring them out but it would be much better if the Holy Spirit would convict him and cause him to recognize his sin and to get it right as soon as possible.

Vision News

6 comments:

Travis Snode said...

What if some people come to your church with accusations about another pastor? Things he did or said to them? Is it our place to investigate that? Or do we just not worry it and move on?

Austin Gardner said...

Great question! The Bible is clear that we are not to accept an accusation about an elder without witnesses. If one person came to me I would tell them that I would really like to help but that the Bible commands me to not get involved in this discussion. It is not my position or place to do so. If you are not a part of the problem or the solution why are you involved.

I would not investigate because you have no authority at all. And you are commanded not to even accept the accusation unless there are witnesses. It is easy to want to please and then get stuck in an argument that you can not get out of and can do nothing about.

1Ti 5:19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know what you think about a man who is part of the church, and helps out in the church and also leads a secret life style of that of a predator of women.
What action would you take if this man purposely sought out another members wife who was in the middle of emotional crises and found ways over many years to worm his way into their families life and later finds out that this man was involved in affairs with other women outside the church as well, all this hidden from his wife and kids.
Well, the victims did tell the church and the out come was NOTHING. They never called to see how the couple was or tried to help in any way.
Then the man file a lawsuit against the couple for telling.
The church never cared.

Austin Gardner said...

I want to thank you for your comment and I want you to know that I am unable to judge any situation like this since I am not a part of this church however I think that it is a horrible sin to be a "predator of women"

If I knew of the incident I would do exactly as has been stated in this lesson. I would confront that person and I would seek to help them get their life right with God and take whatever legal actions the law requires.

I think that this has to be one of the hardest cases ever and I hope that I would take the right stand and seek out the hurts ones and get them help and try and get the sinner right or out.

I am sure that you are hurting or at least that is what it sounds like and there are no words that I could use to help or comfort you but I know that God will work in each of our lives and help us grow through anything that happens

Anonymous said...

Thank you, It has allowed other women to get help and God is bringing good out of the destruction. There is so much more to the story, and I do hope that through it all this man got right and learned from it. The aftermath is still not over and it has caused more trauma.
Still, God is at work and revealing himself throughout this time.
If this man continues to hurt people, I know God will deal with him in his time.
I hope this help other people see the importance of accountability in the church and really reach out to those who have been victimized.

Austin Gardner said...

I will pray that God bless and work in the situation.