Monday, November 12, 2007

Missionary Agreement Form 3

Secondly. It is very important that we should gain all the information we can of the snares and delusions in which these heathen are held. By this means we shall be able to converse with them in an intelligible manner. To know their modes of thinking, their habits, their propensities, their antipathies, the way in which they reason about God, sin, holiness, the way of salvation, and a future state, to be aware of the bewitching nature of their idolatrous worship, feasts, songs, etc., is of the highest consequence, if we would gain their attention to our discourse, and would avoid being barbarians to them. This knowledge may be easily obtained by conversing with sensible natives, by reading some parts of their works and by attentively observing their manners and customs.


There is so much to learn from this particular paragraph and part of their plan. I am afraid that the majority of missionaries over look this very essential part of our ministry. We must study their culture. To do cross cultural work you must understand something about the people that you are trying to reach.

Notice that it was their goal to gain all the information possible. That means you need to be reading their books, listening to their stories, asking them questions. Don't just assume you know. Don't just trust books written by others or listen to what the other missionaries have to say. You need all of that but more than that you need to mix and mingle with the people to find out what they are saying, thinking and doing.

How can we converse with them if we do not know what their words mean in their context. We can easily misinterpret what they are doing because we put it into our context and not theirs.

They consider us barbarians according to these three missionaries. We do not know how to act appropriately in their culture.

The kiss on the cheek may seem strange to you and make you feel very uncomfortable because you think of it in your context but in their context it is the warmest way possible of saying that they love and respect you.

Become a student of culture. Learn about your people.

I would love it if some of the missionaries and others reading this would make some comments about these points. You do not have to agree with me. You can make statements or ask questions. Just get involved in the discussion.

Vision News

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen Bro. Austin,

I believe that learning the culture of the people-group we are working with is vitally important. I the the Apostle Paul would agree.

1Co 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1Co 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

Austin Gardner said...

You are exactly right and all of our doctrines and practices should be based on the Word of God. Thank you for your comments and I hope that the other posts will be a blessing also.